Suez Canal Update - Impact on freight
Following Wednesday’s advisory on the Ever Given vessel which ran aground in the Suez Canal at around 8am local time on March 23, please find below an update on how your shipments may be impacted.
While the stricken vessel was partially refloated on Monday morning (28th), the canal remains closed for now.
Several hundred vessels are currently queuing in the canal and a number of carriers have now announced which of their vessels are waiting to pass.
For a full list of all vessels affected, please click here.
To follow Evergreen's Ever Given in real time, please click here.
While hundreds of vessels will be delayed having to wait for passage, others have decided to take the detour route via the Cape of Good Hope, adding a 10-14 days to the transit time in the process.
The impact on both westbound & eastbound business is as follows:
- Delayed arrivals to North European base ports including UK & Ireland of anything up to 2 weeks
- Serious congestion at North European base ports including UK & Ireland with vessels arriving at the same time causing berthing issues
- Serious congestion at all China ports disrupting eastbound and westbound service
- Carrier vessel rotations may change, and certain origin and destination port calls omitted
- Re-routing via the Cape – adding 2 weeks to transit times
- Re-emergence of equipment problems in Asia with significant shortages of empty containers expected
- Additional blank sailings can be expected as a result
What effect to expect?
Extended transit times, further blank sailings and the inevitable issues surrounding port congestion as well as a severe lack of empty containers will likely result in increased freight rates through congestion surcharges, PSS and any other emergency surcharges carriers may impose.
WE KEEP YOU MOVING
We deliver alternative solutions to suit your supply chain:
- Dedicated airfreight solutions
- Our sea/air multi-modal service via Dubai - a new offering combining ocean freight cost and airfreight speed for cost-effective just-in-time deliveries - more info here
- Our Express Rail service: Carbon-conscious door to door delivery
- Truck Solutions from China to Europe/UK in 16-20 days: Refrigerated, standard and mega trucks available
We are expecting a surge in demand for these services, so please be encouraged to enquire and book early to secure space.
CONTACT US HERE