Brexit Guidance - Key steps to avoid delays and additional cost
The first week of 2021 has seen our teams work around the clock to provide guidance and support to importers and exporters trying to adapt to the changes and new regulations for UK/EU shipments following the UK transition/Brexit.
As previously communicated, some of the issues faced by the logistics industry in 2020, such as lack of equipment and port congestion, have followed us into January 2021.
In addition, customers who do not provide the correct customs documentation in advance of their shipment face delays and may incur additional cost as a result.
Please be reminded to follow our Brexit Checklist guidance to minimise risk.
- Apply for an EORI Number
- Organise for a Customs Intermediary, such as Woodland Group, to act on your behalf*
- You can apply for a Duty Deferment Account (if duty is applicable to your goods)
- Prepare to pay or account for VAT on imported goods
- Know the commodity code(s) for your goods
- Check the customs tariff to establish duty rates for your products.
- Full shipment details (Including pieces, gross weight, nett weight and dimensions of packaging)
- Full shipper & consignee name and address
- EORI number
- Commercial Invoice, which must include:
- Buyer & Seller names and addresses
- VAT Numbers
- HS Codes of your products, itemised
- Incoterms of sale
- Commercial value of the goods, including currency
- Country of Origin
- Goods Description
- Gross & Nett weight
- Invoice number & date of invoice
- Confirmation that your customer or supplier in the EU has a Customs Intermediary. For full loads, confirmation of the clearance point.
- Completion of the Woodland Direct Representation/AEO form when we’re acting on your behalf as a customs intermediary
Remember any wood packaging (non-processed wood, ie pallet bases) must be ISPM 15 heat treated since 1st January 2021: Wood packaging goods for import and export - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Imports to the UK:
- Deferment account authorisation (see above – or ask us for our template)
- Confirmation if you will be wanting to use Postponed VAT accounting, or if you have applied for CFSP EIDR (deferred customs entries and taxes/duties for the 1st 6 months)
Nominating Woodland as your Customs Intermediary is simple and easy to do.
- Postponed VAT Accounting
- Duty-free shipping between the UK and EU - read up on government guidelines: Duty-free shipping UK <-> Europe: the prerequisites
- There are some trade deals the UK has signed which have not fully taken effect – find an overview of UK trade deals with non-EU countries here
- Check when you can account for import VAT on your VAT Return - GOV.UK
- Wood packaging goods for import and export - GOV.UK
- Tariff codes
We will continue to work our way through all enquiries as quickly and efficiently as possible. Please help us help you and follow the above steps.
Thank you for your continued support and cooperation.
If you have any questions or concerns, our dedicated team are here to support and guide you through this transition and the required changes in processes. Contact us here.