We keep systems healthy
Our client is a leader in filtration technology, specifically for serving scientific, medical and manufacturing markets worldwide.
20%Reduction in logistics costs
The company operates as a group, with multiple manufacturing and warehousing locations in the UK, Continental Europe and the USA – plus regional distribution centres in Singapore and Japan.
Following a series of acquisitions, they approached Woodland Group to help them restructure their supply chain, manage their logistics and ultimately free up time for their management to concentrate on the company’s core competencies.
We would need to install and operate document production, freight management and tracking software to a common global standard, while innovating to reduce total supply chain costs. We would also provide transparent management reporting against KPIs.
Our objectives included rationalising the company’s many manufacturing and distribution facilities without compromising customer service. We were tasked with making significant reductions in logistics costs and to design and operate their warehouse and transportation facilities worldwide.
How we delivered
We offer expert personalised solutions to help your business succeed. We delivered the following services to help this client's growth.
This complex project encompassed all supply chain disciplines and their application worldwide. To tackle it, we established several teams to drive specific programmes, all co-ordinated by a project board.
This included representatives from Woodland Group, the client and Woodland operations.
Team members acquired information on every supply-chain related area. This included product profiles, demand patterns and demographics, material flows, inventory structures, transportation networks, packaging, staffing, seasonality impacts, service standards (actual and required) and costs.
We established optimum logistics structures in relation to planned plant rationalisation. Our project teams designed warehousing, IT and transportation networks. These were established to deliver the most efficient supply chain framework and implemented to agreed timetables.
Our logistics solution included:
- Reducing the number of warehouses to three regional distribution centres in Europe, North America and South East Asia.
- Extending direct supplies to ex-manufacturing facilities for specific markets/clients.
- Constructing a new warehouse in the European region.
- Managing document production, warehousing and transportation in North America and South East Asia.
- Installing Woodland Group software for document production, freight booking and management, track & trace and management reporting in all RDCs, with direct interface to the client’s ERP system.
- Restructuring of global transportation networks to optimise supply chain performance.
- Creating of Woodland Group project teams, working with client to achieve continuous improvement.
By rationalising of our client’s supply chain, logistics costs were reduced by over 20%. There were also group inventory reductions of over 15%. Customer fulfilment levels – as measured by the availability of ex-stock – improved from less than 60% to 95%.
- Introduced effective management reporting against KPIs and enabled the full visibility of supply chain materials.
- Freed up time for our client, so they could focus on their core priorities.
- Our work allowed us to further contribute to our client’s business excellence programme.